You need Building Regulations when:

  • you erect or extend a building
  • you materially alter a building e.g. carry out structural alterations
  • you extend or alter a controlled service within a building e.g. install a WC
  • you want to change the building’s fundamental use
  • and many other works

You may need Building Regulation approval even if you don’t need Planning Approval and vice versa. 

If you are unsure, please contact us and we will tell you whether you need building regulation permission, it is always better to check first.

Below are examples of the type of work that need Building Regulation approval:
  • erection of new buildings
  • extensions to existing buildings
  • underpinning of foundations
  • barn or domestic garage conversions
  • replacing windows work that affects fire safety eg most alterations to commercial buildings
  • work for disabled people e.g. providing ramped access, lift etc
  • removal of a wall
  • creating new door or window openings
  • installation of sanitary and washing facilities or alterations to drainage
  • installing heating appliances and storage tanks
  • erection or alterations to chimneys, flue liners or flues
  • structural alterations
  • installing cavity wall insulation
  • alterations to roof spaces
  • re-roofing
  • providing insulation to a property
  • replacement shop fronts
  • agricultural buildings in some cases
  • changing the use of buildings 

For further information please click here 

Contact us today for any enquiries you may have