Find out

Do I Need Building Regulations?

You need Building Regulations when:

  • you erect or extend a building
  • you materially alter a building e.g. carry out structural alterations
  • you extend or alter a controlled service within a building e.g. install a WC
  • you want to change the building’s fundamental use
  • and many other works

If you are unsure, please contact us and we will tell you whether you need building regulation permission, it is always better to check first.

You may need Building Regulation approval even if you don’t need Planning approval and vice versa.

Below are examples of the type of work that need Building Regulation approval:

  • erection of new buildings
  • extensions to existing buildings
  • underpinning of foundations
  • barn or domestic garage conversions
  • replacing windows work that affects fire safety eg most alterations to commercial buildings
  • work for disabled people e.g. providing ramped access, lift etc
  • removal of a wall
  • creating new door or window openings
  • installation of sanitary and washing facilities or alterations to drainage
  • installing heating appliances and storage tanks
  • erection or alterations to chimneys, flue liners or flues
  • structural alterations
  • installing cavity wall insulation
  • alterations to roof spaces
  • re-roofing
  • providing insulation to a property
  • replacement shop fronts
  • agricultural buildings in some cases
  • changing the use of buildings 

For information please follow this link to 'LABC Front Door' website

If you are carrying out any work to your property and you require a builder, consider this choice very carefully.

You should thoroughly check any builder out before employing their services as this is one of the biggest investments you are likely to make.

For large projects, one option is to employ a professional to advise you. If you consider your job so small you do not require a professional, get advice from someone from the industry that you know and trust.

  • try to get personal recommendations from friends and neighbours
  • get a quotation from more than one builder
  • do not accept estimates
  • decide exactly what you want before asking for a quote
  • ask the builder for references from other clients
  • don't be hurried into a decision
  • use a formal Building contract

The Building Contract will confirm the precise arrangements for the work to be done and sets out simply and clearly what is expected from you and your builder whilst the work is being done, covering areas such as:

  • work to be done
  • Planning Permission, Building Regulations and party walls
  • using facilities on the premises
  • price
  • price variations throughout the work
  • payment
  • working period
  • product guarantees
  • insurance
  • working hours
  • occupation and security of the premises
  • disputes

If you have trouble with 'Cowboy Builders' you should contact the local Trading Standards Department.

Should I inform my neighbours of my proposed building work? It is always a good idea to do this.

Do the neighbours have the right to object to your Building Regulation Application? No.

Whilst there is no requirement in the Building Regulations to consult neighbours, it is required under the Party Wall Act 1996 if you are building, either inside or outside, within 3m of the boundary. It may also be required under other legislation.

Please consider the following:

  • are you aware of the exact boundaries to your land
  • have you shown a copy of the plans to your neighbour
  • have you discussed your proposals with your neighbour
  • have you spoken to your neighbour specifically about the following items:

a) the proposal being constructed partially over the boundary
b) the encroachment of the foundation into their property
c) the detailing of the connection of the proposal to your neighbour's building
d) the encroachment of the eaves/guttering into their property
e) the connection of the new drainage system into your neighbour's inspection chamber/drain
f) access for maintenance, repairs, painting, clearing gutters etc
g) the overlooking of windows
h) the proximity of outlets and flues
i) the position of soakaways and potential surface water run-of

This information is intended to give you a guide on how to avoid disputes with your neighbour when carrying out building works.

If a dispute cannot be avoided you will only be able to resolve it through civil action and the Council has no jurisdiction in such matters.

Please ensure that your neighbour's property is kept clean, tidy and dust free during the construction process and that building materials do not inhibit access to land.

Contact us today for any enquiries you may have